Friday’s Spiritual Law of the Day is the Law of Detachment, which is about letting go of our need to control outcomes, our attachment to our desires, and – perhaps most difficult – our need to control other people.
In the Vedic tradition and other spiritual teachings, the path to freedom and happiness lies in letting go of attachment. This doesn’t mean disengaging from life, denying your passions, or living the life of a renunciate. The real nature of detachment is a loving, wise participation in life while maintaining the awareness of an inner core of peace and presence that is our true identity. This is the essence of the Spiritual Law of Detachment.
Why Attachment Hurts
Attachment is based on fear and insecurity. When you forget your true Self – which is pure consciousness, pure potentiality – you begin to believe that you need something outside of yourself to make you happy. It’s easy to think, “I’ll feel good when I have more money in the bank, lose 15 pounds, find my soul mate, pay off my bills, or (insert your current desire here). As you’ve no doubt discovered, getting what you want doesn’t bring security. At a deep level, you know that whatever is bringing you happiness can be lost and therefore has the potential to bring you pain.
The only way out of this dilemma is detaching. You set your intentions and take whatever action is needed, and then relinquish your attachment to the outcome. Here are a few powerful affirmations you can use to practice detachment in your daily life. Choose one or two and practice saying them to yourself throughout the day:
- I consciously commit to flexibility and detachment.
- I allow myself and those around me the freedom to be themselves, without imposing rigid ideas of right and wrong.
- I live my life in a state of engaged detachment.
- I release the need to judge or criticize.
- I express myself honestly while releasing any need to impose my beliefs on other people.
- Whenever I notice that I am becoming emotionally attached to a point of view, I take a deep breath and come back to a more centered place.
- I embrace detachment by choosing to be free from the good and bad opinions of others.
The Seven Spiritual Laws are powerful principles that you can use to fulfill your deepest desires with grace and ease. Each month in the Chopra Center’s free online newsletter – Agni – you can learn more about the keys to creating more happiness, fulfillment, and balance in your life. Each issue contains articles from Deepak Chopra and David Simon, as well as practical guidance on getting into the best mind-body shape of your life. Click here to sign up for Agni and visit our rich archive of past issues.
Comments are now closed.