The healing science of Ayurveda recognizes that seasonal rhythms have important influences on our biological cycles and health. Each season expresses characteristics of a specific dosha, or mind-body principle. Learn more about the doshas here. In the Northern Hemisphere, we are in the midst of what is known as Kapha season – the period of late winter and spring, which brings the cold, wet weather that characterizes the Kapha dosha.
When our Kapha dosha is out of balance, it can manifest as colds, sinus congestion, weight gain, allergies, sluggishness, depression, and a lack of motivation. These common conditions tend to be aggravated during Kapha season, so now is a good time to correct any imbalances in your mind-body health.
Here are some suggestions for balancing Kapha:
- —Make choices that are warm, light, energizing, and purifying.
- —Follow a regular daily routine; avoid taking naps during the day.
- —Favor lighter, drier foods with pungent, bitter, and astringent tastes .
- —Exercise every day: running, bicycling, swimming, aerobics.
- —Stick to warm and bright colors, such as yellow, orange, and red.
Interested in more mind-body wellness tips?
Subscribe to the Chopra Center’s free online newsletter, combining timeless wisdom with the newest discoveries in mind-body medicine. Click here to sign up for the newsletter and visit our rich archive of past issues.